Monday, June 17, 2013

Waking up is hard to do.

Ah, morning!  That beautiful time of day where the world is full of possibilities!

 

But not at my house!    My mornings look a lot more like this:

 
Let's face it:  Waking up with medication is hard to do!  Waking up for me feels like I am on the bottom of the ocean inside of a barrel, and I have to climb out of the barrel and swim up to the top.   I sometimes stagger around and bump into walls.   I also have a hard time organizing myself in the morning.  I have learned to do many things the night before.
 
Waking up was one of my biggest fears when I went back into the work world.  Could I do it?  Every Day?   Or would I be calling in all of the time because I couldn't wake up?  Back in my college days when I was undiagnosed and my bipolar was a very turbulent beast, I would live with deep, dark depression and his obnoxious friend, anxiety.   They would keep me up all night with their constant chatter about death and fear and heaviness, and I often would miss my 8:00 am classes.
I even failed some very easy classes because I simply did not attend.
 
Mania, of course, does not sleep.   So you are awake, and impervious to caring about sleep at all.  But with medication, I usually always sleep.  Just not as much with cycles of mania.
Most of the time, I feel like I could never get enough sleep.   Never.
By Friday, I can barely function.   On the weekends, I need to sleep forever to make up for the work week.   Sometimes on Friday nights, I go to bed at 8:30 or 9:00 pm and don't wake up until 10:00 am on Saturday morning.   And then, I need to have what I call "jammie time"  where I sit at and stare at he wall for a couple of hours until I feel coherent enough for the day.
 
This often puts a damper on friendships.   I will get invited to go do things by friends on weekends.  Usually in the mornings. I don't want to say: "sorry I can't go because I need to sleep in for hours and hours and then bump into walls for awhile and then stare at the walls while I pound coffee."   So, I usually say that I have plans, or I try to go.   Many times I need to schedule a vacation day if I have many weekend plans, or I just can't face the exhaustion of the work week.  I really need that 'jammie time" to recuperate. 
 
I guess that this is just one of the ways I have learned to adapt myself to the needs of my illness.  Sometimes, I feel bad that I need this time of recuperation.   I guess that's because sometimes, I feel bad that I have bipolar.
 
Most days, I am okay.   I put one medicated foot in front of the other and get out the door.
I am very grateful for coffee!
 
 

Good Morning Monday!  What do you have waiting for me today?

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment