Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Happy to be stuck with you....

I was thinking about happiness today. 

I used to think that being happy meant getting exactly what I wanted at the exact moment that I wanted it.   I now know that happiness is not just about what we get or don't get, but about our attitudes about those things we really can't control.   Which is pretty much everything except ourselves, and on some days, I can't seem to even control myself.

I often watch documentaries on happiness or contentment, because it fascinates me that sometimes people who have lived through incredibly hard situations are among the happiest and most content.
I watched a documentary called 'happy' on Netflix that discusses happiness across nations, socio-economic status and life situations.  It was interesting to me that some of the people were living in poverty, or had been through terrible things, and yet were still able to feel happy and content.  I wonder if it is just that they accept life as it comes, or is there more to it?

I found this TedTalk by Dan Gilbert on the surprising science of happiness.    It is his theory that being stuck or 'bound' actually scientifically helps us to become happy.   The spiritual part of me believes that this comes from acceptance of what is, and adjusting ourselves to reality.   He calls this 'synthetic happiness'.   He takes this synthetic happiness further than just the spiritual process of acceptance and gratitude.    Our brains are happier when we are bound.   Our ambitions are better when bound.   Our fears and worries are better when bound.   We are the most happy when we are stuck.   It is a very interesting video.  Watch it and let me know what you think.




No comments:

Post a Comment